Currently, thirteen host congregations each provide temporary shelter and hospitality for Family Promise guests for four weeks each year. Four additional congregations provide consistent host support.
This “inter-faith hospitality network” is the backbone of Family Promise’s model of helping homeless families. By using existing facilities, volunteer labor and in-kind donations of food, Family Promise is able to effectively help families on a small budget. Dollars go further with this community-based approach.
Each host and support congregation is requested to participate in annual volunteer training. Quarterly hosting responsibilities include:
- Supplying a van driver to shuttle guests from the congregation facility to the Day Center each morning and back to the congregation each evening (van is provided by Family Promise)
- Preparing and serving the evening meal
- Providing a room as sleeping space for up-to four families (air mattresses and bedding provided by Family Promise)
- Fellowshipping with guest families over dinner and into the evening
- Committing to have volunteers present at the congregation facility while Family Promise guests are there, including two or more who will stay at the congregation facility overnight.
Contact Us for more information.